[flagallery gid=2 name="Gallery"]
The event is organised by the Sheffield & District Chinese Association to celebrate the year of the Ox which is one of the 12 Chinese Zodiac signs. The Chinese New Year day was on 26th Jan 2008. Normally there are 15 days of celebration period. Our celebration day was on 1st Feb 2008 (Sunday). The year of the ox is suppose to be hard working and fruitful. A person who is born in the year of the ox is suppose to be loyal and persistent in the pursue of their course.
Amongst the guests attended were
- The Lord Lieutenant of South Yorkshire (the Queen’s representative), Mr. David Moody
- The Lord Mayor and Consort of Sheffield (Cllr. Jane Bird and Mr. Roger Bird)
- The Mayor and Mayoress of Chesterfield (Cllr. Fred Qualyle and Mrs. Shirley Boulton)
- Leader of Sheffield City Council, Cllr. Paul Scriven
- Representative of the Leader of Labour Cllrs., Cllr. Joe Pye
- Others Cllrs. were also present together with leaders of community groups, King Edward VII school teachers and of course representative of Interserve Education!
Our association also organised Chinese language Classes which is based King Edward VII School Upper School at Glossop Road. It is administrated under the name of Sheffield & District Chinese School. The school operates during normal main stream school term time every Sunday from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. There are Mandarin and Cantonese Classes for children and adults. Levels from beginners to G.C.S.E.
On behalf of our association, I would like to thank you and Interserve for the assistanace and co-operation during the past few years. We are particularly grateful to the staff who are based in King Edward VII Lower School who have gone out all the way to make sure that our event has gone on smoothly and successfully.